Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Kiwi Experience

I thought I was SOL with my new iTouch when my computer's operating system refused to cooperate, but after taking it down the local iHelpMeWithEveryhing store in Auckland they set me all up and I'm using it right now! Yay! That's what I get for waiting until the very last nano second to chose what piece of technology I'm going to vagabond with. Next task...hook this baby up to wifi and get my apps and music! Oh and Celeste, thanks for hooking me up with my "apple employee" discount!  As any vagabonder on a budget knows, any deal or discount is worth celebrating. So, when Cheyenne and I learned we could hitch a ride up to Paihia, Bay of islands and Cape Rienga through a company called Stray, we decided to optimize our time wisely.
New Zealand is the adventure Capitol of the world. They invented the bungie jump and take pride in there variety of extreme sports they have to offer. My kind of place! As you can see from the pictures I just posted...this place is breathtaking and Cheyenne and I intended on soaking up every moment. Here's how it went down. We took a bus up the Paihia, hopped on a boat taking us through The Bay of Islands. (Captain Cook wasn't too creative when naming this bay on his voyage back in the day, but he sure got it right!) Our boat took us weaving through all the islands out to the hole in the rock, then swam with the friendliest dolphins! This adventure is definitely worthy of note. I hopped in the water with a school of my now favorite new mammal and they seemed to be having more fun than I was. Don't get be wrong, it was a blast, but chasing these suckers around with a slightly too tight wetsuit and flippers is a freaking workout! Anyway, my playful new friends had personality! One little guy, I swear, looked right at me while swimming an arms length away and with a flirtatious energy did a little spin just to show off. I loved every moment of it!
Now, I know some of you have heard of the Full Moon party the rocks in Thailand, right? Well if not... It consists of music, lots of booze...usually in the form of jungle juice in a netty pot  type of jug and glow in the dark body paint. Since Cheyenne and I decided against splurging on such a party once we get into Asia, the obvious alternative was PiPi Patch hostel full moon party or bust! The greatest thing about traveling is the people you meet and with New Zealand being the backpacker's Mecca, it really is a community of people with a similar mentality...adventure, party and the like.
For some odd reason Chey and I have been popping out of bed ready for the day at 6am. Full moon party or not the next day was no different. We were off to the most norther tip if New Zealand, Cape Rienga. This beautiful point is where the Tasman Sea and the Pacific Ocean collide! Incredible view. We cruised down 90 mile beach in our bus, saw some wild horses in the sand dunes and flew down the sand dunes on boogie boards all in the same day! That's just how we do... No big deal! Needless to say our Kiwi experience was a perfect start to thus expedition abroad. New Zealand was the best layover of my life!

3 comments:

  1. :) hilarious dolphin scene 'too tight wet suit' . . . that IS a work out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE dolphins!!I'm so jealous you guys got to buddy up with a few - way to continue being awesome... :-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great to follow along with your adventures. Nice pics. Luv ya........... A donna

    ReplyDelete