Monday, January 3, 2011

I heart Laos.

Right when you enter the Towns and Villages of Laos it is slow motion. In Laos time... my heart rate slowed, I kicked off my hiking shoes and settled in. After our barge through two of Thailand's big cities it was time to slow our roll and in Laos...nothing happens on time.
Pasquele and his guitar.


Our first town was Luang Probang. We found a humble looking hostel and made ourselves at home for the next three nights. We made great friends (one we brought along with us for the next two weeks and the other an amazing musician while you can see in the picture above) and enjoyed a couple lazy days chillen on the porch...listening to live music of Pasquele or paroozing the bustling night market. This is the sort of place that you instantly love because of its chill vibe and the lack of big city chaos. Instead Luang Probang welcomed us warmly and the local people added to the charm of the city. I finally felt like the traveling Chameleon I've been striving to be on this trip. Fitting right in. Now I'm not delusional, so I know that I'm not going to necessarily blend in anywhere in Asia. I mean, with blond hair (although my roots are off the hook, so I'm a brunette in the making), white skin, and I'm wearing a huge back pack as if it were an attachment of my body...I accept that i stand out without the need for bright colors. However, there is something to be said about a county, a town, a people that creates a sense of comfort. This is Laos.
Laos' magical waterfalls


If luong probong wasn't a small and quaint enough town for us we were ready for smaller. With our new friends from Italy, Leonardo and Pasquele, to keep us company we hopped in a mini bus to a small village named Nong Khiaw.


At first, we were confused when we first got in. After we walked over a bridge and past a couple food stalls and settled in our bamboo guest house, we were on the look out for the town. It wasn't until we were soon past the little village and in the middle of nowhere when we realized...that was the town! Nong Khiaw is one of the most picturesque places Ive ever seen. Crossing the bridge into what i now know is the town, was breathtaking. Massive walls of rock surrounded us blanketed with the epitome of fall colors. We all stood in Awe. The massive slabs of rock even harbored some caves. I knew my head lamp would come in handy!



Pasquele climbing in the caves

U-turn back to town

Long boat to Muan Ngoi Neua
In true vagabond form we were off again before we knew it, and this time to an even smaller village; Muang Ngoi Neua. There is something wonderful about a place so secluded where there are no roads and only accessible by boat. It might have been the fact that my bungalow had a hammock on the porch, or that I was right on the river, or no electricity (they only run generators for 3 hours after sunset), or the absolute beauty of the surroundings. Whatever it was...I loved it.

 

 



3 comments:

  1. Hienoja matka valokuvia. Oikein hyvää tätä kuluvaa vuotta!!

    Teuvo Finland

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you can take the big city out of this California girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness your blog makes me miss you so much my Jay, but what a glorious experience you are having! I love you!

    ReplyDelete