Friday, January 28, 2011

Smelly Delhi

Hello friends. I have missed you. Time has been flying by so fast. We are now into our 4th month of travel and have visited 10 countries...wow! I will definitely have to recap on Vietnam and Cambodia because they were amazing and count from some great memories, but for now i thought I'd stay current on my update.


We are in India. Incredible India they call it. Well, it took us a while before we could appreciate how wonderful it could be. We flew into Delhi on January 15th and it rocked us to the core. The first advice I have about Delhi...is to leave Delhi. Bye! It is a place full of scammers and shiesty rickshaw drivers, so watch out! When you get in one of these rickshaws they will immediately try to take you to their friend, brother or cousin's tourist office.They will lie thorough their teeth to make some commission. It's hard to imagine an entire city being a network of scamming liers, but I'm here to tell you it's true. Now, believe me...it makes me deeply sad to say something so generalized. The fact that we are two white women definitely makes us more of a target, but having to dodge these bullets coming from every angle at every moment, believe me, is exhausting. For me, the best part about traveling is the people you meet and opening your mind to different ways of life. In Delhi, I turned into a sceptical recluse...looking at everyone with an untrusting eye. To get anywhere Chey and I would duck out heads, link our arms and make a run for it. That way the Indian locals don't have time to whip out their camera phones to take our picture or grab our arm and ask where we are going. I had not prepared myself for this loud, overcrowded, smelly and corrupt city.

Things immediately started to get better when Chey and I hired a private driver (I know, Baller status) and got the hell out of Delhi! His name is Ram and we heart him. He is our five foot, 65 year old body guard slash chauffeur. This was the best decision we have made in all of our travels since it's a feat trying to get a valid ticket to any form of public transit. Ram is with us for two weeks as we make our way through Rajasthan. Road trip!

We began our road trip with the famous golden triangle. Delhi, Agra and Jaipur.

Ah, the magnificent Taj Mahal in Agra redeemed India and made it incredible once again. We only stayed here one night. Checked out the baby Taj, the massive fort and got back on the road.

Taj Mahal


The streets of Jaipur were bustling in front of the Honeycomb-like building in the center of town. We put our bargaining skills to work and even purchased a traditional Sari. I will blend in much more when covered head to toe in bright sparking garb, my new henna tat, and a Bindi on my forehead. :) We fit in some major sight seeing at the Amber Fort and City palace. Every evening ended on the rooftop restaurant of our hotel with our Aussie friend, Ben. The food was amazing and I don't think I'll ever get sick of Garlic Nan and Chicken Tika Masala. Mmm.

Hawa Mahal
Gate of The City Palace
Amber Fort
The monkeys at Amber Fort

Next stop, Pushkar. The land of no rickshaws, emaciated cows roaming the streets and a population of only 14,789. How I love you Pushkar. Our hotel right in front of Pushkar lake which is surrounded by the Holy Bathing Ghats. The sunset was magical and there was something very alluring watching the pilgrams come to bathe right before sunset.

Ghats around Pushkar Lake

Rooftop beers with Ben

Ram loading up the car in Pushkar

I am still on the look out for some Yoga. In a country where my senses are on heightened alert at all times...I really need to take a deep breath and Zen out. Our hotel allowed us some greatly needed chillout time in the middle of a garden with wild Peacocks roaming around. LaLa, the friendly grounds keeper taught me how to make Masala Chai Tea this morning before we got back on the road. Next stop...Jaisalmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment