Sunday, April 24, 2011

Time to visit Charley...and Belgium!



My travels have picked up some speed, and again...I leave the blog-a-boo in the dust. My bad. In an effort to make up for some lost time I thought I'd recap while on my non-stop bus ride as I'm currently traveling through the state of Bavaria on my journey from Munich to Prague. How I got to this point...it's a long story, but I cant wait to tell.

I last left off telling a bit about the cool city of Amsterdam, but between Amsterdam and Paris I made a pit stop to visit my friend Charley in Belgium. I met Charley last year in San Francisco when he was traveling through the States, so when the opportunity came to go to Belgium...I of course had to pay him a visit. I arrived in Gent which is right outside of Brussels and he and his roommate Joe were kind enough to have me as their house guest for the week. 
Gent was great! The first night I was there Charley and Joe took me out to show me around. The town was glowing. It was a quite Wednesday night, but the medieval city was charming as ever. Look how beautiful...
Riverside at night in Gent, Belgium
Lights of Gent, Belgium
Day time on the River
The history of the city is on every street corner. I spent my days wondering by ancient sites intertwined with modern day living. I never tire of seeing a Castle that I know represents more that what meets they eye...but it's the History behind these old relics that fascinates me. Gent does a wonderful job of explaining its history in the S.T.A.M. This museum traces a chronological pathway from Gents earliest history to now! I kicked it there for a good 4 hours. Whew!
S.T.A.M.

The Gravensteen Castle\
Never know what you will find on a stroll though Gent.
There I am
Graffiti Street

I even took a day trip to beautiful and enchanting Bruges. Unfortunately, I didn't get too much time there because I jumped on the wrong train and ended up on my way to Antwerp. Crap! I made it eventually, but definitely did not do this little gem of a town any justice. I did, however, manage to snap some pics.
The city is a Wold Heritage Site of UNESCO!

Ok, what is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of Belgium? Mmmm, yes...Beer and Chocolate! That's what I thought you were going to say. How could I go to Belgium and not experience what the country is famous for? So i did...with great happiness. 
I got a box here

Joe, Me and Charley...out on the town.
I had a great time during my visit to Gent. It was so bizarre seeing my friend Charley again after so long and now on the other side of the world. I love that  about travel...connecting with people from all over the world and now, thanks to facebook...staying in touch. Charley, thanks for showing me your town!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed Ghent and Bruges :)
    Wish we could have showed you Brussels though!
    Save travels Jayla and stay in touch..

    ReplyDelete